On June 10, 1947, the American Academy of General Practice held its first organizational meeting and hence the American Academy of General Practice was founded to support the general practice of medicine on a national level.
On May 21, 1948, the concept reached Kentucky with the granting of a charter for the Kentucky Academy of General Practice.
The physicians who petitioned for a charter were:
D.G. Miller Jr., M.D., J.M. Ray, M.D., John G. Samuels, M.D., Leland Tanner, M.D., Travis B. Pugh, M.D., Ruel T. Routt, M.D., J.A. Bishop, M.D., G. Thomas Ballard, M.D., Howard Frisbie, M.D., Wilbur R. Houston, M.D., Ralph Wilson,M.D., Clark Bailey, M.D.
The first business meeting of the KAGP took place in the South Room of the Brown Hotel in Louisville, Kentucky. The first President who served before the charter was Dr. David G. Miller and the first vice president was Dr. J. M. Ray.
On September 26, 1948 in Cincinnati, Ohio the business session was to elect officers: T.B. Pugh, M.D., President; Thomas Gudex M.D., President-Elect; Richard Slucher, M.D. Vice President; D.G. Miller. Jr., M.D., Secretary-Treasurer. The first elected delegates to the AAGP were: Richard Slucher, M.D., and J.A. Bishop, M.D.
The KAGP’s popularity grew among general practitioners and within five years the ranks numbered 178 members. In 1954 the KAGP Journal was born with it’s first editor, Dr. Carroll Witten, Louisville, Kentucky.
Now called the KAFP Journal, it continues to be published, providing educational and communication opportunities to Kentucky’s family physicians. The size of the publication was increased to 8-1/2 X 11 in July, 1990, to further improve its quality and to enhance readability.
In the early years, the Academy’s business was handled through Joyce Clark, Calyton Scroggins, E.M. Wallace, Dr. James Williams, Leo Hogan and Cantey DeVane. The Academy established its own facilities in 1959 at the present location in the Medical Arts Building, Louisville, Kentucky. In November, 1997, Mrs. Cheryl Myers, CAE, celebrated her 30th year with the Academy, now serving as its Executive Vice President, CEO.
When the American Medical Association recognized family practice as a specialty in 1969, the Kentucky Academy reflected the national trend, and the name was changed to the Kentucky Academy of Family Physicians.
The Academy continues to expand with more than 1000 members and now publishes an annual Membership Directory. In addition to its Annual Scientific Assembly, the Academy has three regional seminars each year where CME credit may be earned.
Recognizing the need to assist in the funding of important projects for the health care of Kentucky citizens, the Academy created the Kentucky Academy of Family Physicians Foundation Inc. in 1991 to act as its philanthropic arm.
The Academy continues today to support physicians engaged in the practice of family medicine. Building upon the successes of the past and with a vision of the future, the Academy strives to achieve excellence through activities geared to enhance the quality of family practice.